Friday, October 10, 2008

Life in the Nation's Capital


Right now I am living in Arlington, VA while doing an internship at the National Research Center for Women and Families. I have been out here for a month so far and am finally becoming accustomed to "large city" life. Living in southern MN hasn't really provided me with the knowledge on how to function in a large city but I have to say that I really love being out here. It was not as hard of a transition as I thought it would be but I guess it helps that I have roommates to socialize with and am not starting out knowing no one in the whole city.

Today I am finishing up some time consuming, tedious, but actually fulfilling work at my internship. We are putting out a book in the next month on a "Survival Guide for Working Families". It is around a hundred pages long and it has been a project for my organization for a long time. I got handed the reference sheet a few days back to be compiled for the book. Basically it consisted of six pages, single spaced, of random information and some websites. I had to go through and sort all the references into their corresponding chapters and then put them all into the correct format and make sure all the web sites still worked. Needless to say I have been working on it non-stop and now I have finally finished. It wasn't the most enjoyable work but I feel like I have now contributed to this book in some way and I actually accomplished something.

Tonight I am heading out on a road trip with two of my roommates and one other friend to take the nine hour trek up to Niagara Falls. I am so excited to actually see some of the east coast and to take a trip into Canada. I will be taking a lot of pictures so I can show everyone my crazy trip.

I really could not have asked for a better month out here but I get to head home soon to see my family in MN for a weekend. I really miss them so it will be nice to be home for a while.

1 comment:

Economic Analyst said...

Great blog please visit my blog below and click the links! THANKS!

The Coming Depression!